Skip to main content

5 Reasons To Go No Huddle (That Make Sense)

5 Reasons To Go No Huddle
(That Make Sense)
By
Coach Sheffer

Anyone who has followed this blog, or me on Twitter (@darrinsheffer) you may know that I have been critical on the Spread No Huddle/Up Tempo trend that has been hitting HS football for quite some time now.  However, it is my personal philosophy to be a Lifetime Learner and also have the ability to adapt/evolve my position on certain topics.  So, without any further ado here are 5 reasons why every HS Football program should consider going No Huddle next season (at least 5 that make sense to me) in no particular order:

1. Everyone's Doing It!

Image result for lemmings jump off cliffs
https://arran.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/a-fable-for-our-time-why-lemmings-jump-off-cliffs/

OK, OK I know I just made some Old School Coaches out there upset, but before you stop reading out of anger please let me explain myself.  Unfortunately for us the culture of the Transfer isn't something that has stayed at the college level.  HS players are now transferring to new schools left and right.  

So what can we do about it as coaches?  One thing you can do is to make your program appear more attractive to players outside of your school.  How can you do that?  If you go to a No Huddle offense it will appear to outsiders that you are more Modern/With It than the Old School programs.  The key word here is Appear, which leads me to the next reason...

2. You Don't Have To Change Your Offense

Image result for american football play cards
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/8/27/16211362/playcall-sign-cards-sideline

PSA: You don't need to be a Spread/Up Tempo team to use No Huddle!  If you are a Triple Option team you don't have to change anything about your X's and O's.  The only thing that changes is how you signal plays in.  Either it's using boards, wristbands or signals the only thing you change about your offensive system is the fact that your players no longer huddle up to call the play.  

3. Control of Tempo

Image result for i wanna go fast
https://blog.cloudflare.com/i-wanna-go-fast-load-balancing-dynamic-steering/

When many people think No Huddle they also think Up Tempo or Hurry Up.  In reality that isn't always the case.  I feel that it is easier in a No Huddle offense to control the tempo of the offense than in a traditional under center offense.  Many huddle offenses have to use two different systems of calling in plays when using their different tempos.  In a No Huddle offense you can have multiple tempos, but at the same time have the exact same signaling system which will make it easier on both the players and coaches.  Not to mention the fact that it will make practice time more efficient if you only need to practice one play call system.  

4. Takes DC's out of their comfort zone

Related image
https://giphy.com/gifs/mylabbox-key-nervous-peele-3oz8xLlw6GHVfokaNW

Defensive Coordinators don't like to be rushed.  DC's like to have time to figure out the down and distance, what does the opponent like to call in this situation, etc.  From a Defensive perspective facing a No Huddle attack makes you feel like you don't have as much time to call the right defense, even if the No Huddle team isn't going Up Tempo.  This can frustrate a DC into calling base/vanilla defenses or maybe go the opposite route and try to get too fancy, ether way you are taking them out of their comfort zone.  

5. Can prevent Defense from Substituting

Related image
https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/blog/eureka-lab/these-young-researchers-take-aim-sports

Unless the rules are different in your area, the offense is not required to give the defense an opportunity to substitute unless you also substitute players.  Typically it is easier for the defense to sub in guys verses an old school huddle team.  When facing a No Huddle team, even if they don't go Up Tempo it can be more difficult to sub in players.  This is very effective when your kids are in better shape than the other team.  

Stay Obsessed 

Comments

  1. My family all the time say that I am wasting my time here at net, except I know I am getting experience all the time by reading such fastidious content.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well