Skip to main content

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By
Darrin Sheffer

With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien
Twitter: @bruceeien

Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.  

I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level I want to do something that is different than the other teams in my area.  In Northern Virginia (home) most HS level teams run some type of Spread Offense.  If I were calling an offense here, I would want to do something "Old School" (Wing-T, Triple Option, Single Wing) so that it would be difficult for opposing defenses to plan to play us.  I am especially fond of Unbalanced formations.  So when I came accross Coach Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" formation I instantly said "I want to use that!"  So what is the "Stupid Sweep"?  

Photo Provided by Coach Bruce Eien

Photo Provided by Coach Bruce Eien

As you can see the "Stupid Sweep" formation is the Ultimate Unbalanced formation.  This is the most unbalanced formation I have ever seen in my short coaching career.  (For a more comprehensive explanation of the "Stupid Sweep" see the link to Coach Eien's AFCA article below).  Coach Eien used this formation as a change up in his "FAT" Single Wing Offense (see links below for more info).  Even though this formation was part of a Single Wing Offense, I believe that this could be used at any level by any type of offense, "Old School" and "New Age" offenses alike.  

Photo Provided by Coach Bruce Eien

Photo Provided by Coach Bruce Eien

I liked the idea of using a "Sugar Huddle" and running to the line in this formation to screw with the defense, especially in Red Zone or 2-point situations.  The first time you throw this out there you are almost certainly going to force the opposing coach to call a timeout.  I also liked Coach Eien's idea to shift into the formation from his normal "Fat" formation to try and outflank the defense.  


Photo Provided by Coach Bruce Eien

In his AFCA article (see link below) Coach Eien states that there are multiple "bubbles" or openings that defenses usually show with this formation.  He teaches his runner to read the defense and hit the first opening that shows.  He also has a "Sucker" play tagged to this when the runner believes they can outflank the opposite side of the defense if they over shift.  He also has a "Wing Counter" play called "Wham".  He goes on to diagram some PAP's that look deadly as well.  

So if you are interested in learning more about the "Stupid Sweep" please go straight to the source and check out the links listed below.  I know that I plan on learning as much as I can and trying to use this in whatever offensive system I use in the future.  

Remember to Stay Obsessed. 

Coach Eien's AFCA Article on Stupid Sweep:


Coach Bruce Eien Links:



Coach Eien's YouTube:


YouTube Video on Stupid Sweep:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well