Skip to main content

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets
(Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien)

If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.  
  
Unbalanced Wing-T

For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below). 




In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well, you could go with an Unbalanced Tackle Over formation where you switch the Weak Tackle and TE (See diagram below) in this formation you get the clear Strength to the Unbalanced side while still keeping the TE eligible in the passing game. 



Unbalanced Single Wing

The Single Wing offense is basically built for Unbalanced, for more information see 



Unbalanced Spread

Two of my most popular blog posts so far have both been written about Unbalanced formations from a Spread Offense 

Coach Singleton's X Over Formation: 


(Photo of Coach Singleton's X Over Formation from Spread @slade248)


In my honest opinion, if you run a Trips set you are basically in Unbalanced.  I love Trips with a TB aligned to the trips side with the threat of a push motion/route.  If I were to run a Spread and I had a Trips formation like the one above, I would put my biggest receiving threat on the weak side by himself and see how the defense handles it.  If I get 1 on 1 I’m going to test that all night.  If they give your receiver a cushion, I will send out Quick screens or 3 step Hitch routes for free yardage and hope he is athletic enough to gain a few yards or break it for big yards.  If my Dude is enough of a threat that they need to double cover him that would make my Trips side more effective and more difficult to defend.  See, us dinosaur coaches aren’t Spread illiterate. 

Choices, choices, choices…

When the offense comes out in an Unbalanced set it forces the defense to make a choice: do we move over to match the unbalanced or do we stay where we are?  This sometimes can be a difficult choice for a DC because if you stay where you are you are essentially outflanked on the boundary and will die by Sweeps and attacks on the C Gap.  But then, I you attempt to match the unbalance you may expose your defense to weak side attacks like Counters and PA Passes.  If you choose to defend the boundary you tend to leave your middle exposed to Dives or Wedges or Traps.  Basically, choose your poison coach. 

Trades and Shifts

If you really want to give some DC nightmares start adding simple Trades and Shifts into your offense.  Each defense must decide on how to align to the offense; usually it’s going to be either they are going to align to the offensive run strength or they will use a field side/boundary side alignment.  If the defense aligns to strength, then lining up in one formation then quickly trading into another and running a play will mess with them something horrible.  Many times, you can catch the DL still scrambling to match the strength which gives you a huge advantage up front.  Imagine you are a DC facing a Wing-T team breaking the huddle, lining up in Strong Left then trading into an Unbalanced Right formation, then running toss to the weak side.  I know that I would hate facing that possibility every snap. 

Conclusion

If you run Unbalanced sets I want to talk to you because I am considering ways of incorporating different unbalanced concepts into offenses.  Either follow me on Twitter and hit me up or comment down below.


Stay Obsessed.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level