Skip to main content

Reasons I Would Go With The Spread


Reasons I Would Run A Spread Offense
by
Darrin Sheffer

Full disclosure: I am NOT a Spread Guy.  I like old school offenses like the Wing-T, Single Wing and I formation the most.  However, I am not inflexible when it comes to my offensive schemes.  There are a few conceivable situations where I would consider running a Spread Based Offense.

Personnel
Image result for dual threat quarterback
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_McSorley

1st and foremost it would need to fit my personnel.  I would want my QB to be my best athlete on the field.  I need a Big AND Athletic Offensive Line.  Without these personnel fits I do not see myself running a Spread Offense.  I’m not a believer in running spread with non-athletic QB’s and Small Linemen.   I have seen too many teams (the school I teach at included) try to run a Spread because they believed it would help them.  In my personal opinion when two teams run a similar offense the game becomes a track meet, the team with better athletes will win 95% of the time.

Simple Blocking Schemes 

Image result for offensive line
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dallas_Cowboys_Offensive_Line_vs_Redskins_2017.jpg

Another thing that I like about Spread Offense, you can teach one or two blocking schemes and you have both a running game, PAP game and passing game.  For example, you can make your main run play the Inside Zone, make some play action passes and drop back passes and still use a Zone scheme.  In the Wing-T, if you are a Buck Series team you have one blocking scheme for Buck Sweep, another for Buck Trap and a completely different one for Buck Waggle.  If I were an Offensive Line coach, I would love the fact that I can teach one or two schemes and practice them until we were dang good at them. 

Attack The Perimeter

Image result for football quick screen
https://www.flickr.com/photos/geeknerd99/6212444768

I will be one of the first coaches to say that you do NOT need to run a spread offense to effectively attack the perimeter of the defense.  Running offenses like a Wing-T a coach can run plays such as Rocket Toss or Jet Sweep, perhaps even Now Screens to a single receiver.  It seems though, that the spread offense is built to have an effective perimeter attack.  For example, you can run 2x2, 3x1 or Empty gun formations and have at least one player in place to attack the edge of the field.  I have developed an infatuation with Bubble and Quick Screens.  I have been doing a ton of research into how to effectively coach and run these types of plays and I have seen many film clips.  I also like Jet Sweep out of these sets. 

Tempo

I wrote an article a few months ago on Up Tempo offense and why I liked and also disliked them (https://obsessedwithoffense.blogspot.com/2017/07/why-i-like-and-dislike-up-tempo.html).  Offenses which are good at what they do may benefit from running an up tempo offense to catch the defense off guard.  If I were to run a regular no huddle, tempo offense I would want to make sure that I use the Rule of 4 (4 runs, 4 passes, 4 screens).  It depends on the level I’m coaching and the learning capacity of my team at the time.  In my honest opinion, one run play to the left and to the right counts as 2 of my 4 runs. 

If I were going super speed/warp speed Up Tempo, I want to run one formation, 2 runs, 2 passes and 2 screens.  Nothing more.  Sometimes I would do less than that if needed.

Recruiting

Image result for football recruiting
http://www.9thmcd.marines.mil/Photos.aspx?igphoto=2001045868

If you listen to many Spread Coaches talk about the reasons they went spread one of the responses will typically be “It gets the Basketball guys to come out for Football”.  While I personally feel that creating a culture of excellence is the best foundation for recruiting, I can’t deny the fact that it is easier to recruit athletes in your school when you run an offense like Clemson.  It is not easy to recruit WR like kids to play in a Wing-T offense. 

What are your thoughts on going spread?  If you are a Dinosaur Coach like myself, what would convince you to start running the Spread?  If you are already a Spread Coach, what was the deciding factor/factors that made you want to convert?  Leave any questions or comments below.

Stay Obsessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well