Skip to main content

Coach's Rant: What Is The Most Over-Rated Position Group In Football?

By,
Darrin Sheffer

Before I go any further I want to make one thing clear: everything stated below is my personal opinion.  What does that mean?  It means that not every coach who reads this will like or agree with what I have to say.  And you know what? That is OK.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I love talking ball and debating X's and O's with other coaches so if you have a comment you would like to make please comment below or talk to me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarrinSheffer


Image result for soap box
https://www.flickr.com/photos/transforminggenerosity/13776713843

I'm a teacher and I often go on a rant about something during class (most teachers do) and when I do I always tell my kids that I am "getting on my Soap Box".  I'm about to get on my Soap Box about a topic which I have been thinking about lately: What is the most OVER-RATED position group in football.  If I asked many people this they may say QB, but I would like to contend that this is actually not the case and that there is one other position that is more over-rated and frankly less important to a football team's success: Wide Receivers.

Image result for wide receiver
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kiel-Baltic-Hurricanes-Spieler.jpg

Wait a minute coach! Wide Receivers? But the passing game is more important today than it has ever been! Just look at how popular super stars like OBJ and Dez Bryant are!  Look at how many teams in the NFL, College and High School are spreading out and putting 4-5 receiver sets.  Look at how popular offenses like Washington State's Air Raid are becoming!  Look at how popular 7 on 7 camps and passing leagues are now a days.  How could you possibly say that receivers aren't important?

1st, I didn't say that receivers aren't important, I said they are less important than other positions.  2nd, let me explain my position here.  My opinion has been formed by experience not only being a coach, but also a spectator of the game.  

Argument #1: Highly Specific Skill Set

For the most part (some coaches might not agree) WR's are very One Dimensional players.  What do I mean about this?  Their one job is to catch passes.  Now you might say, "coach, that's not all WR's can do.  They can block on the edge and help spread out defenses".  In that case I will say this, "how many WR's do you know of are Good Blockers?"  Because of the perception that many young players have of WR's, many kids think that the only skill they need is the ability to catch a pass.  This means that learning how to block well is not nearly as important to these kids.  So in my experience, WR's are only really good at being a potential risk for catching passes.

Image result for wide receiver
https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithallison/29484274300

Argument #2: Me, Me Me Mentality

I challenge you to a game: next time you watch a football game on TV point out the loudest, cockiest guy on the football field.  Besides perhaps DB's (that's a whole other rant, DB's are the WR's of Defense) that guy you point out is most likely a WR.  As an offensive coach, who are the players most likely to come up to you and complain that they aren't getting the ball enough?  Probably the WR's.  Now, is this confidence and showmanship being backed up with superstar play making?  Not really...  In my opinion, kids with this attitude are trying to copy what they see on Sundays, but most kids are NOT able to back it up with Star Caliber play.  That's one reason I don't coach WR's, because I would have to keep telling my kids to "SHUT UP".  

Argument #3: Championship Teams Not Centered Around WR's

Do you have a stud or a couple of stud's at the WR position?  Do you have a QB who is accurate and can get the ball downfield?  Do you have an O-Line who can hold pass blocks long enough to get the ball downfield in the first place?  You do? Great! Go ahead and toss that bean around and feature those WR's.  I just have one question for you: How many championship teams at any level are focused on doing this as their main offensive objective?  You might come up with a few answers, but for the most part the answer is: NOT MANY.  

Image result for pro style offense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

If you take a good look at most offenses on championship teams you will notice one major thing: they have a balanced attack.  Meaning that they emphasize being dominant in the run game to set up the passing game.  So in my opinion What is the most Under-Rated and most Important position group on the offense?  The Offensive Line!  Everything on offense begins and ends with what your O-Line is capable of doing.  You might have studs at WR and QB, but if your O-Line is not up to snuff there isn't a whole lot your skilled positions can do.  

Time to get off my soap box

Please follow me on Twitter, leave a comment below and remember to Stay Obsessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well