Skip to main content

My Take: CTE and Football

By
Darrin Sheffer

Full disclosure: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  
I also do not claim to be an expert on brain injury or neuroscience in general.


Image result for brain
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brain_01.jpg

CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) is all over the media today.  Here is a link to a recent study done on former NFL players: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2645104  
and here is the link to Boston University's CTE Center: http://www.bu.edu/cte/

I highly recommend that you do your own research on CTE, utilize the resources I listed above and learn as much as you possibly can on this issue because I believe it is the biggest issue that the sport is facing now and most likely will continue to face in the foreseeable future.  My viewpoint on CTE has evolved and I assume it will continue to evolve as more and more information comes out, but I will give you a hint as to my current thoughts: I believe that this issue will change the game of football as we know it.  

Today I am going to be taking off my coaches hat and put on my Scientist hat.  Before I begin talking I want to give you my credentials:

Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science from Bridgewater College, Bridgewater VA

Masters Degree in Biology from Chatham University, Pittsburgh PA

Graduate Certificate in Secondary Education Science from George Mason University, Fairfax VA

2 Years teaching Biology at High School 1 Year teaching Earth Science at High School

Not to mention all of my internships and countless research projects.

Here are some areas of focus my studies have taken: Human Anatomy, Physiology, Neuroscience, Exercise Science, Ecology, Zoology, Environmental Science, Statistics, etc.  

Current Study

I want to focus on the most popular CTE study that news reporters and media sites love to quote.  This particular study found that 96% of brains sampled from former football players had some degree of CTE or other brain damage.  

As a Scientist I have one issue with this particular study: sample size.  I'm a stickler for data, and there just isn't enough data from this study to convince me football is the only thing causing CTE.  Every person who's brain was studied had played football at some point in their life and showed signs of brain damage before dying.  But what about non-football athletes, non-athletes, drug users, alcoholics, etc?  To be more of a valid study I need more data about the rates of CTE in the general public.  Unfortunately, to see if someone has CTE, they have to be dead and had to agree to have their brains studied.  Hopefully in the future there is a way to diagnose CTE without the patient being dead.  

I also have an issue with Social Media, the News and other Media outlets like CNN showing headlines that say things like "Scientific Study Proves Football Causes CTE".  These people do this kind of thing all the time.  If you have seen news headlines like "Scientific Study Shows That Eating Chocolate Helps People Lose Weight" you know that some people will believe this type of thing out of hand because it "was on the news" so "it must be true".  Unfortunately, many things on media sites are "fake Science".  These guys only care about profits and having the "next news story".

My Thoughts

I really hope research on CTE continues and that we end up getting more data on the rate of CTE in the general public, not just the skewed sample the study above used.  

It might seem like I don't believe concussions and CTE is an issue, but the truth is I believe it's a huge problem facing the sport.  We as coaches have already seen an impact on parents allowing their children play football, especially at the High School level.  

How will the sport respond?  I believe that football, as we know it, will evolve to meet this problem "head on".  I foresee that in the future we will see more rules changes about tackling, potentially even "gasp" banning tackling!  Before you get mad at me and stop reading consider this, football has changed before because of similar reasons.  When college football first started there was no forward pass.  The sport was so violent that people were dying on the field before the President forced rules changes to allow forward passing which made it safer.  In fact I would contend that the game we have today is a different game than the one we had only 10 years ago.  Change is inevitable and will happen.  

As a parent myself, and someone who has at least some understanding of brain development in kids it is my belief that young kids should NOT play tackle football until 8th grade, or even wait until High School.  Many coaches will be angry and argue that youth football teaches fundamentals, which it does, but I contend that young kids can learn all football fundamentals (except for tackling) by playing flag football with well trained coaches.  But don't get me wrong, I am still passionate about the game.  However, I am even more passionate about the health and safety of my players and my own children.


What are your thoughts?  I really do recommend you do your own research and come up with your own educated conclusions.  

Stay Obsessed



Bibliography:

Mez J, Daneshvar DH, Kiernan PT, Abdolmohammadi B, Alvarez VE, Huber BR, Alosco ML, Solomon TM, Nowinski CJ, McHale L, Cormier KA, Kubilus CA, Martin BM, Murphy L, Baugh CM, Montenigro PH, Chaisson CE, Tripodis Y, Kowall NW, Weuve J, McClean MD, Cantu RC, Goldstein LE, Katz DI, Stern RA, Stein TD, McKee AC. Clinicopathological Evaluation of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in Players of American Football. JAMA. 2017;318(4):360–370. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.8334


http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html


http://www.bu.edu/cte/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well