Skip to main content

Unconventional Formations #1: Coach Slade Singleton's X/Z Over Formation

By
Darrin Sheffer

With Contributions by Coach Slade Singleton
Twitter: @slade248

Photo provided by Coach Slade Singleton

Coach, is your offense... Boring?  Predictable?  Looking to add some spice to your offense?  I suggest you find yourself an Unconventional Formation.  Now understand that I'm not suggesting that you need to find a whole new offensive scheme, I'm just saying you should really be thinking of adding something new and something that not a lot of other coaches have the balls to do.  Some coaches may be afraid that adding something on top of what they already do will ruin their strategy.  What if I told you it didn't need to?  What if I told you that adding ONE unconventional formation won't be too expensive to teach?  

I want to first thank Coach Slade Singleton Co Author/ Unlocking The Air Raid DNA (link below) for allowing me to write about one formation that he uses and I just freaking love, his X/Z Over Formation, or some may call it Quints Formation (see picture above and diagram below).  I have been following Coach Singleton for a while on Twitter now and I have to say that he is one of the friendliest and most generous people I have been in contact with.  If you are not already following him on Twitter you really should because you are going to learn a ton about his offense.  From the film and videos I have seen Coach Singleton has built his Spread RPO offense around an athletic QB making his go to play the QB Sweep RPO.  



What could make the QB Sweep RPO even better?  How about throwing the X Over formation into the mix.  In one of his videos, Coach Singleton has stated that he uses Tempo in his Spread Offense, and when his offense comes out in this formation the other coaching staff loses their minds.  Many times it has caused the other coach to call a timeout to readjust.  Coach Singleton's goal in this formation is to empty the box so that his QB has more running lanes.  Other than his QB Sweep RPO he also likes QB Trap, Power and Iso.  I have diagrammed his Sweep RPO below.  


Coach Singleton has tagged a Bubble Screen RPO onto his QB Sweep which I think is great because it gives the QB a second option on his sweep or Bail Out.  Coach has said that opposing defenses are usually so scared of the QB run game that he only sees about 3 or 4 defenders covering the 5 players off to the side which can create great match ups for the Bubble Screen.  One other play that I can think of, I'm sure Coach has come up with this already, is to fake the sweep RPO and have his Z go deep.  Have the QB sprint out like the Sweep but have him take a step back and throw deep.  Just an idea.  

If you would like to see more from Coach Singleton please go straight to the source on Twitter: @slade248

Also check out these links:





Remember to Stay Obsessed 



Comments

  1. I pay a quick visit everyday some blogs and information sites to read content, but this webpage presents feature based writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. compnoZrio-de Colleen Kennedy link
    stanontugood

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well