Skip to main content

Why I like...Zone Based Offenses

By
Darrin Sheffer

With Contributions by
Coach Phil Vogt
Website: thecoachvogt.com
Twitter: @thecoachvogt

Image result for zone blocking
http://thesportsquotient.com/nfl/2013/11/27/double-edged-sword-the-zone-blocking-scheme

It's the new thing!  It's popular!  It's 21st Century Football!  It's never been done before!  It's... not really true.  If there is one overhanging theme in offensive football that I have learned it is that nothing is truly "new".  Everything, and I mean everything (yes, even RPO's) have been done before.  There is nothing truly new when it comes to football, everything you see being done today has been stolen from another coach or another time.  One case in particular: Zone Based Offenses.

If you are a spread team, you probably have at least one, if not multiple plays that have Zone Blocking schemes.  Not just spread teams, many Flexbone, Wing-T, I formation and Pro Style offenses use some form of Zone Blocking schemes in their offensive systems.  But Why?  Why is Zone so popular today?  It's not like it was invented recently, in fact it has been around for a lot longer than I have.  It seems that many coaches are realizing the benefits of running a Zone Based Offense.  Here are some reasons that I have found...

Image result for inside zone blocking
https://www.xandolabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=915:25inside-zone-for-maximum-efficiency&catid=94&Itemid=162

Coach Sheffer

1. Simplicity

As a zone coach, you have the choice of how simple or how complex you wish to make your zone blocking scheme.  In my opinion, it all depends on how old your kids are and how much time you wish to invest in teaching.  If you have young kids or don't have much time to teach, go very simple (each kid has one job on Zone Right, Zone Step to the right and pick up anything in your Zone/Gap).  If you have older kids (HS and above) with more time to teach you could go with a Covered/Uncovered Scheme.  Now, I'm not saying that because Zone can be simple that coaches who go to it are lazy.  Even the simplest Zone scheme can still take time to coach and is still driven by good technique.  However, I can't tell you how many times I have heard other coaches tell me something like "I went to the spread/zone because it simplified things for the players and coaching staff".  

2. Variety 

The term "Spread Offense" is a misnomer.  Why?  Because there are so many more "spread" schemes than just one offense.  When I think of a typical "spread" offense I think 2x2 formations, Zone blocking, Zone Read, Jet Sweeps and lots of Bubble Screens.  My own view of what I thought a Spread Offense is was misguided by my misunderstanding of the vastness of options that a coach can choose from.  Shotgun Wing-T, Spread Option, Air Raid, Single Wing and so much more!  And guess what ONE blocking scheme most spread offenses can use?  You guessed it, Zone.  With one blocking technique you could run multiple run plays such as Inside Zone, Zone Read, Zone Triple Option, Jet Sweep, Toss, Outside/Wide Zone (slight tweak on same blocking) plus many more that I can't currently think of.  That's not to mention the fact that by teaching this one Run Blocking technique you can easily set up a Pass Blocking scheme that goes with it.  In my opinion, Zone Based Offenses are the most diverse offenses out there.

Contibution by Coach Phil Vogt

"Many reasons I like WZ, here are top 2
1-The play has a built in answer with what ever the defense does without having to check out of the play. It’s a very safe play

2-Defenses play you plane Jane. Stunts and blitzes hurt the defense, they get zoned off or cut off and the back is in the secondary.

And your right about RPOs.  Been around since 1930/40’s the single wing running sprint pass.

Zone scheme started with tubby Raymond and the jet/belly “reach” series.   Only dif is on jet they would pop the guard against a shade and 5 playside."

See Images below from Coach Vogt's I formation offense. 

 Photos provided by Coach Phil Vogt

If you have any reasons similar or different than what are stated for running a Zone Based Offense please feel free to comment.

Stay Obsessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well