Skip to main content

Lessons I Learned From Football

Lessons I Learned From Football


by,
Darrin Sheffer

Adversity
Image result for football scoreboard
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Steinert_Football_Scoreboard.jpg

                Life rarely goes the way you want it to go, as a teenager that can be difficult to accept and hard to handle.  The same thing can be said about what happens on the Gridiron.  Excuse my language: Shit Happens.  Your coaches have a game plan, which in my opinion usually goes out the window during the first quarter.  How you as a player handles that adversity will show how mature you are as a person.  My coaches were amazing at teaching us how to handle this adversity like a mature adult and keep a calm, level head when the “shit hits the fan”. 

Faith
Related image
http://www.emtv.com.pg/nfl-rallies-around-protesting-players-denounced-by-trump/

                Now with this one we as coaches need to be careful, especially those of us who work in a public-school system.  I was reprimanded a few years ago because my players wanted to do a team prayer after practice and games.  Apparently, a parent complained that I was leading the prayer, so the kids took over and kept it going.  Now, I am not saying that football is a Christian game. 
                When I say Faith, I’m not saying Faith in any Religion.  What I mean is Faith in yourself, your coach and your team.  Football is one of the only sports where it is nearly impossible to succeeded on the shoulders of one player.  Success on the field requires all 11 players doing their jobs, which requires some faith on the part of the other teammates.  Can you perform your job knowing full well that all 10 of your teammates will be doing their job? 

Family
Image result for football teammates hand in hand
https://www.pexels.com/search/football/

                In any sport, the locker room can make or break a team’s chemistry.  Look back on your own playing days; did your team have a positive locker room environment?  If it did you probably trusted your teammates on the field.  If you did not, and you had a negative locker room environment it was probably difficult to trust any of your teammates which may have caused problems on the field.  Now as a coach there might be next to nothing you can do to influence what goes on in the locker room.  However, if you stress team above self in everything you do there might be some positive interactions going on.  The locker room relationship extends beyond just the locker room and it includes the weight room, school and now social media relationships.  If you can influence those in a positive way you might be able to have a positive locker room environment. 

Grit
Image result for football teammates
https://pxhere.com/en/photo/956262

                This topic might go along with what I had to say on Adversity.  As a teenager it was difficult for me to envision the future, and hard to find good reasons to work hard even though I wasn’t necessarily gaining instant rewards.  My coaches were excellent in making sure that they repeatedly stated what our goals were as a team, while also instilling a goal oriented individual mindset as well.
 
Respect
Image result for football teammates
https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1035138

                Times have changed.  When I was a kid (I’m only 25 so not that long ago) I never would have dreamed of saying something disrespectful or challenge my coach in any way.  Now-a-days however, it is quite common for players to disrespect a coach at practice.  It is common for players to question everything, and I do mean everything, that a coach says or does.  Football taught me how to trust and respect my coaches/superiors and my teammates. 

Teamwork
Image result for football teammates
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_031122-N-5596B-004_Teammates_congratulate_Navy%27s_Bronston_Carroll_on_a_touchdown_during_the_Midshipmen%27s_win_over_the_Chippewas_63-34_in_Annapolis,_Md.jpg


                Like what I said with Faith, as a team you must have faith in your teammates to be able to perform their job while your job.  I feel that being a part of a football team taught me the ability to have faith in my teammates later in life.  As an educator I need to have faith in the other teachers in the building to be doing their job so that I can do my job effectively.  I have dealt with some other people who do not have this mindset and do not trust other teachers which is not healthy in my opinion.  However, if that person played football at some point in their life it seems that they have a similar mindset to mine.  

Stay Obsessed 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well