Skip to main content

First Impressions of the AAF

First Impressions of the AAF
by
Darrin Sheffer

In today's blog post I will be discussing why I think that the Alliance of American Football (AAF) league is basically the NFL's JV Squad, and why that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  

See the source image
https://media.wane.com/nxs-wanetv-media-us-east-1/photo/2019/02/08/Alliance%20of%20American%20Football%20AAF_1549661791113.JPG_71803992_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

While I thought it was a little bit weird that here in Virginia CBS was showing the San Diego Fleet vs San Antonio Commanders instead of the Atlanta Legends vs Orlando Apollos I will say that I was pleasantly entertained... at least for the 1st Quarter.  A friend of mine criticized the league for being essentially the JV Squad of the NFL, but that doesn't really bother me all that much.  So far the AAF has done a great job of marketing and avoiding competition with the NFL.  So even though it isn't the same talent level as the NFL, because the AAF openly admits this I'm not disappointed with the product on the field.    

After viewing one game, I would have to rank the quality of pro football leagues like this:
1. NFL
2. CFL (Canadian Football League)
3. AAF (So Far)
4. AFL (Arena Football League)
5. Everything else

I'm excluding the XFL here because they have yet to put out a product.

Why would I place the AAF 3rd on my rankings?  If you are familiar with the CFL, or Canadian Football League, you would know that football in our northern neighbor country isn't any joke.  If you haven't seen a Canadian Football game I highly recommend that you do.  Just look at the quality of talent that those teams have at QB: Jeremiah Masoli and Vernon Adams (Oregon Ducks) Johnny Manziel (Cleveland Browns).  Last night the starting QBs in the AAF game were Logan Woodside for San Antonio (Toledo) and Mike Bercovici (Arizona State).  While there were flashes of talent on the field last night, I'm convinced that most of these players would find it difficult to make a roster spot on a CFL team.  

So why am I not disappointed?  First: I knew what I was getting from the get go and second: it's still football!  The feeling I got last night was similar to the feelings I get during Weekday MACtion during the college football season.  Sure, it isn't SEC, Big Ten or ACC caliber football, but it's football and what the heck else am I going to watch on a Tuesday night?  While I wasn't disappointed, I do think that there are some things the AAF can improve upon which I will touch on in another post another day.

In the meantime
Stay Obsessed!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Screens From Wing-T Offense

Quick Screens from Wing-T Offense By Darrin Sheffer                 When most coaches hear Wing-T Offense they usually don’t think about passing, however there are a few ways that a Wing-T coach can utilize his receivers on the edge.  Delaware Wing-T X-Now Screen One of the simplest ways to attack the boundary using the Wing-T is to use an X-Now Screen or Quick Screen.  Preferably, unless you have a QB with a rocket for an arm, I would rather use this play when the X receiver is to the boundary.  In the case of using the Right Formation we would like to have the ball on the left hash with the X lined up on or just inside of the numbers, this will give the QB a nice easy pass and the X a bit of room to maneuver.  I would teach my X to use the sideline and get as many yards as possible but you might have a different preference on the Now Screen. An idea that you could use (I learned this watching an online clinic from Coach Mc from Scott County HS, KY) is to have

Unconventional Formation #2: Bruce Eien's "Stupid Sweep" Formation

By Darrin Sheffer With Contributions by Coach Bruce Eien http://bruceeien.com/ http://fatformation.blogspot.com/ Twitter: @bruceeien Before I get started with this blog I would like to say Thank You to Coach Eien for being so generous and kind enough to welcome me into the Single Wing community.  While I am a newbie when it comes to the Single Wing offense I am learning more and more every day and I am falling more and more in love with this offense the more I learn about it.  As someone who who is familiar with "Old School" offenses like the Flexbone and Wing-T, the Single Wing is an offense that rings many familiar bells, especially my love of Misdirection based offenses.  Once again, Thank You Coach Eien.   I love all offensive systems, but I have a special place in my heart for systems that are "different" and "unconventional".  I'm most familiar with traditional Wing-T, but when I have the power to call an offense at any level

Why I Like... Unbalanced Formations

Why I like… Unbalanced Sets (Photo by Coach Eien @bruceeien) If there is one thing that Dinosaur Offensive coaches love to talk about, besides running the ball, it would have to be Unbalanced Sets.  Old school Wing-T and Single Wing guys will hang their hat on being able to cause conflict with the defense by using Unbalanced.  However, it isn’t only old school coaches using it; many Spread coaches are seeking ways to use Unbalanced in their offenses.      Unbalanced Wing-T For my part I am most familiar with the Wing-T’s use of Unbalanced formations.  One common way to go unbalanced in the Wing-T is to simply go X-Over (See diagram below).  In the normal Wing-T formation the X is split off to the weak side of the formation, but in the X-Over we simply align him split to the Strong side/TE side.  One downside to this formation is that due to the alignment of the X, the TE becomes ineligible in the passing game which may limit you.  How do we fix this?  Well